Welcome to the Revolution

Back to Article
Back to Article

Welcome to the Revolution

Grace Piscani, Contributor

Grace Piscani is a Junior at Victor Senior High School. She recently attended the March for Our Lives in Washington, D.C. The opinions expressed below are wholly her own.

Grace sits and contemplates the movement.

Very few times in our lives are we able to see the birth of a revolution, the moment when a million voices cry out in unison for change. That is until this past weekend when those who would proclaim, “enough is enough,” marched on our nation’s capital. No longer accepting politician’s thoughts and prayers, but demanding reform and policy change for the 96 people each day lost to gun violence. Calling out to put the USA over the NRA.

“It was the most impactful day of my entire life” says Luke D. Stowell, Sophomore at Webster-Schroeder, and one of the many student leaders of a group of kids spanning all across the Rochester area who travelled down to D.C. Friday night. 50 kids boarded the bus in the late hours of the night from the local Hegedorn’s grocery mart, alight in anticipation of the change that they knew they would be making. I was lucky enough to be one of those kids this weekend calling for change carrying a poster reading, no more silence, end gun violence”.

Luke Stowell on his “most impactful day.”

The crowd was colossal, over a million people came forth showing their demands on their hands writing, “don’t shoot”, with posters held high, young students barely above the age of eight holding signs asking, “am i next Young girls with pigtails and colored clips in their hair beside little boys in between sandwich boards. Students, teachers, mothers, fathers, doctors, lawyers, and what seemed like every single man, woman and child who had ever been affected by gun violence was protesting. If not on Pennsylvania Avenue then in their own cities. Millions of people raising their hands in protest.

A marcher protesting gun violence.

But in the strong stoic silence of Emma Gonzalez where even the strongest of us, boasting dry eyes began to waver, shaking in their place, her last words “… would never” rang through every single ear of those who had been standing in the warm Washington sun, elevated by those around us. We all found in that moment a unity not found before; there was no divide because there was nothing to divide us. Not gender. Not sexuality. Not race. Not class. Not even political party. Nothing. We found in that moment that the cold steel of guns and bullets do not discriminate. That we had to fight against it together.

This march, this fight was not  one event. Our generation is the one that says “no more” to those who allow the weapons of hate and death to be sold in over 30 states in America. We hope that we will reach a point where we do not have to teach children to duck and cover from bullets before they learn how to read, as stated by the young Edna Chavez. So, I urge you to be proactive to this, write to Senators and Representatives, register and vote, do not let your voices be silenced by those who will scream louder or the ticking hands of time. Our voices are being heard. Our voices will be heard in their glorious pealing  that this is no longer acceptable.

Welcome to the revolution.