Skipping The Drama: quick tips for navigating the world of theatre

Back to Article
Back to Article

Grace Piscani, Copy Editor

Nowadays, students fill their summers and nights with concerts, festivals, and everything in between. However, sometimes you may find yourself in a situation that you are unfamiliar with trading a paper wristband for a Broadway ticket. It is important to remember in these circumstances what is appropriate behavior and what is not.

Dress nicely for the experience

No, you don’t have to pull out the tuxedos and prom dresses for this occasion but try to wear something a little nicer than you normally would. It shows respect for the actors and the workers at the theatre. Plus, wearing something nice can always make you feel great and look spectacular!

Take off your hat when sitting down for a show

Though that hat looks super cool, that hat may not be cool with the people around you. In many places, wearing a hat indoors is often seen as rude and disrespectful, even if you don’t intend it to be. Do yourself, and every else around you a favor and take off that hat!

Try not to participate with a show if you are not asked to

There are so many shows out there where the cast loves to hear the audience’s enthusiasm; however, if you interject at the wrong time you may throw an actor off their rhythm and derailed the entire show. Be sure to applaud and laugh at the appropriate times and keep any other noise to a minimum.

Stay off of your electronics

On average, a ticket to a show costs upwards of 75 dollars. Put your phone away for two hours and try to enjoy the show. Remember: your phone will still be in your pocket after the show ends.

Remember where you are

I hear people complaining all the time about how expensive concessions can be when you’re visiting the theatre. Most of the time the theatres may have to charge a little more than you’re used to on the street but it’s not like snacks and drinks are that price at concerts either.

Don’t Take off your shoes

For the love of God don’t take your shoes off. Most people know that only the worst type of people do this and they belong in that special place in hell with the people who hang toilet paper towards the wall and people who put pineapple on their pizza.

Show respect for the actors, crew members, and everyone in between

From the leading lady to the usher who hands you your playbill, everyone in the theatre is working hard to make your experience the best one it can possibly be. Make sure to thank the people that help you and give the cast the appreciation they deserve.

Be sure to enjoy yourself

The theatre is something that should be enjoyed! Try to have a good time and take note of everything that makes the show so special. You may be surprised by what you might find.