Journalism in the Modern Era, an interview with Mr. Caughlin

Robert Miller, Senior Staff Writer

In his recent interview with the Victor Voice, Mr. Caughlin highlighted the importance of journalism in the school and around the world. His insight was eye opening when he discussed the past and present of journalism in not only the school but also the world.

Mr. Caughlin and I kicked off the interview discussing the history of the Victor Voice. Some seniors and Juniors may remember receiving a print version of the Victor Voice. That mode of journalism as a whole has been replaced by video in recent years.

When asked about the disadvantages and potential benefits of print. Caughlin stated that “print slows us down and allows us to take our time and construct strong arguments through writing.” While video allows us to “cover something closer to when it happens.” 

On the subject of how Journalism as a whole has changed over the past 10 years. Caughlin believes that the “Journalism of the past 10 year has become a competition for clicks and that comes down to poorly written, only online stories that are essentially rip offs of better journalism that are written with attention grabbing headlines.” 

As for what Mr. Caughlin would like to see in the future of Journalism. He stated that “Journalism should slow down a little, and we should start to see more investigative pieces.” As for the Victor Voice, students can expect to see the Victor Voice during their morning check ins and can also read Victor Voice articles here on our website.