The Lowdown on Mr. Lowe

The Lowdown on Mr. Lowe

Sarah Burdick-Biernbaum, Staff Writer

For the past 20 years, Mr. Lowe has been teaching English at Victor Senior High and should be known for his band Acoustic Daddy, and his passion for writing his very own novels. 

Even though he very much enjoys being a teacher, Mr. Lowe still enjoys spending time with his two kids, one who is in 10th grade and the other one is in 8th grade, binge watching his favorite Netflix series, reading of course, and playing his guitar. 

Reading being one of his pastimes, The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien, is a favorite of Mr. Lowe that he highly recommends to his students. Mr. Lowe describes it as a Vietnam fictionalized memoir that is based on the author’s actual experience in the Vietnam War, while also describing the idea of storytelling, how stories rule our lives, and how they’re told and retold as we look for the real truth behind each and every one of them.

He also mentions that his favorite quote has to be by the famous writer, Mark Twain, which states, “When in doubt, tell the truth.” Mr. Lowe believes the meaning behind this quote is “when someone doubts you and your honesty, you should tell them the truth instead of keeping it a secret or lying to them because in the end, all lies eventually unfold themselves.”

Most people don’t know this but, Mr. Lowe actually is a part of a three person band called Acoustic Daddy. At the end of last year, he and his band played a small series of songs at our very first Victor Talent Show. Mr. Lowe describes his band as a modern take on 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s style of music. His band does all covers but manages to keep the rhythm going with just having 2 guitarists and a bass. He also mentioned that his band has previously talked about recruiting a drummer to increase the power and rhythm, but he says that he enjoys what they have been able to do with just having three band members. 

Along with the band, Mr. Lowe also enjoys writing books. When he turned 30, he decided to write his first book while stating that, “it was always something I wanted to accomplish and I thought at that moment in my life, it was the right time to do it”. After he published his first draft, he sent the draft to a few writing agents, who gave him some minor but important critiques.

After that, Mr. Lowe decided to give his writing a break for a while. In 2014, he decided to “pick up where he left off” and finished another rough draft of a book in just three months. He decided to send it to a few different agents and did receive some helpful critiques from them. With the help of those critiques he continued to write until he had about 8 or 9 books drafted.

At the beginning of this year, he decided to start fresh and write another book with the help of a few friends and a cousin. While writing his newest book, he kept in mind an important note a literary agent had given him in the past. He shared that, “the best writing is rewriting and rewriting and once you know the basic structure of the story, the main characters, setting, etc. your writing will become more cohesive and start to piece itself together”. With that in mind, Mr. Lowe continues to keep writing and shares that to start every story, “he writes a couple of opening sentences and once he finds one that  he really connects with and enjoys, he continues to roll with it”. 

For his students he hopes they all know that “no matter what the ability to be a student at Victor is such a gift.”