The Student News Site of Victor Senior High School

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

Charlie or Tiger Woods: How About Both?

The Victor Golf Team has had plenty of success in recent years, winning multiple Team Sectional Titles and sending kids off to compete in States as well. But the experience Junior Golfer Colin Barber had this past November might top it all.

After winning a local tournament in New York, Barber qualified to play in a tournament down in Louisiana, where he would compete in front of college coaches and meet new kids all over the country.

One of those kids… Charlie Woods, and caddying for him… none other than his dad, Tiger! 

Tiger Woods is one of, if not the most famous golfer of all time, winning 15 majors and 5 Masters, the biggest tournament in all of golf. Although Tiger has suffered some setbacks regarding injuries and his personal life, he is no doubt on the top of the list for young golfers to meet in their life.

Going into this tournament, Barber knew there was a very slight possibility he would get to play with Charlie, but when he found out it was actually happening on the last day of the tournament, his excitement could not be contained. 

Barber along with his caddy, Jeff Dodsworth, lining up a put next to Tiger and Charlie

Barber played his best round that day by far, finishing in the top half of the 70+ golfers there for the week. But the more important part, the unforgettable experience of playing with Charlie while his dad caddied for the day. “Playing alongside Charlie Woods was amazing and something I never would have thought would happen,” Barber said.

The Junior at Victor High School was expecting Tiger to be a very cool and down to earth guy, but even he was surprised. “Tiger was more talkative during the round than I expected. He was having conversations with me while walking up the fairways, around the greens, and when we were waiting on tee boxes. He especially gave great stories throughout the round on past tournaments he’s played in and experiences he’s had throughout his life and career.”

As for the added attention that comes from playing alongside an all-time great, this definitely wasn’t a casual round at Cobblestone for Barber, who was able to stay focused despite the paparazzi. “It didn’t really distract me, it just put more pressure on me because my idol and the greatest golfer of all time was watching every shot. The pressure also came from the cameras around 100-200 spectators and the golf channel who was following us around the whole day.”

The interviews and attention throughout school would also increase as a result of the round, which very few people can say they have experienced.

Two of Barber’s teammates on the Victor golf team, Senior Carson French, and Junior Brody Burgess, were certainly jealous and shared their thoughts surrounding the topic. Both players had nothing but praise for Barber. Carson praised,“He’s a great teammate and an even better person to be around”.

As for who they would like to play a round with, Carson said John Daly, and Brody voted for Jordan Speith.

Certainly an experience that Colin Barber will never forget, and he will continue on his golfing journey as he looks to play in college and beyond.