The Student News Site of Victor Senior High School

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

Should school start later?

The average teenager needs at least 8-10 hours of sleep most teenagers don’t even get 6 hours. Research shows that teenagers who don’t get lots of sleep are more unlikely to do well and focus in school. Lots of schools have already pushed back their start time from starting at 8:00am to starting at 8:30am. By having that huge change students final grades increased 4.5% higher. Lots of students lack sleep because of studying, work, sports, etc. Studies show that about 44.2% of parents don’t want any change in their children’s school start time. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), schools should start at 8:30am for students to get the hours of sleep they really need.

Mr. Mandile is really looking forward to making a later start time for students he thinks since research has shown that for people in high school that we should have a later start time around 8:30 am and we would end later. He thinks that it will be better for students, student athletes and students that are busy after school. Buses would come out later at around 7:30 am for those who ride the buses. He thinks that seniors who have late arrival help them just if they have enough credits to graduate.

Majority of students say that they would wish to start school at a much later time around 8:30 am and should end later but there are a few students that don’t want school to start later. Students who said it should start later think it would be helpful for sports, work, and they would get much more sleep. Most students are sleep deprived and struggle in school because they don’t get the hours of sleep they need. Lots of students say that they could finish their work in time and have more achievements if they get more sleep.