The Student News Site of Victor Senior High School

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

Orange is the New Black; a Modern Classic

Image via Good Housekeeping, courtesy of Netflix

Looking for a new show to watch? Checkout a modern classic, Orange is the New Black.

This show is based off of a book and the beginning on a true story. This series started in 2013 and ended in 2019, and has seven seasons. 

The serious subject matter of prison makes the show a drama, however creator, Jenji Kohan, chose to incorporate comedic relief throughout the show. 

Piper Champan,  played by Taylor Shilling, is engaged to her fiance Larry, and living a normal life. She has finally settled down after having a few wild years with her ex- girlfriend Alex Vause, who is played by Laura Prepon.

Years later, Alex turns Piper in for transporting drug money. She gets arrested and the series takes off from there.

Orange is the New Black takes place at Litchfield Penitentiary, a minimum- security female prison, in Upstate New York. 

This series originally focuses on the beginning of  Piper’s 15 month sentence in the first couple of seasons then broadens to more of the inmates in the later seasons. 

The first season focuses on Piper’s initial struggles in the prison, such as adjusting to the food, mistreatment, and other aggressive inmates. Plus the struggle of maintaining her relationship with Larry, and balancing the presence of her ex- girlfriend in the same prison. 

At the beginning of the series Piper is shy and intimidated and by the end of the series you see how prison changed her character. 

Throughout the series you definitely feel attached to the inmates and feel bad for them due to mistreatment from the prison guards and other prison staff. 

This series definitely kickstarted the beginning of many of the actors careers. Uzo Aduba earned multiple awards and nominations for her amazing performance as Suzanne “Crazy Eyes” Warren throughout the duration of the show. 

Taylor Schilling (Piper Chapman), Kate Mulgrew (“Red” Reznikova), Laura Prepon (Alex Vause), Natasha Lyonne (Nicky Nichols), and Laverne Cox (Sophia Burset) also earned nominations and awards for their performances in Orange is the New Black. 

This show offers a compelling look into a female prison. If you haven’t heard of this show you should definitely check it out on Netflix.