The Student News Site of Victor Senior High School

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

Growns Ups vs Grown Ups 2

A great way to enjoy your night in or have a good laugh with your loved ones is to watch a comedy movie. They create core memories, there’s laughter in the air and the atmosphere is lighthearted. Released in June 25th 2010 and July 12th 2013, Grown Ups and Grown Ups 2 are movies that fit this criteria however, one of the two movies exceeds the other.

The cast of Grown Ups 2 in the climax of the film. via – Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc.

In the first movie, you’re hooked into watching with a basketball scene where the characters are portrayed as amateur players, getting distracted and dribbling with two hands in the game. Despite this, they win the game.

Their personalities are displayed from the start and entice you to watch the rest. When it transitions to the present, the older and younger actors are well connected through their acting skills. They are able to build consistent personalities for the characters.

In the second movie, the comedy begins instantly, the characters wake up to a deer in their bedroom. The camera placement and focal point of each scene make you feel like you’re in the house with the characters. The details in things such as the actors’ facial expressions build the story further.

Among the multiple comedians in these movies, there are specific actors who stand out with their performances.

via – Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc.

Rob Schneider plays Rob Hillard in Grown Ups. He gets an arrow shot through his foot in a scene. He transitions from laughter, to shocked silence, to screaming and passing out. Using his body language and tone of voice, he brings out the comedy of the scene pretty well.

In Grown Ups 2, Nick Swardson plays Nick and creates one of the funniest scenes. The scene is short but the script and the way he acts out his character beforehand helps set the moment up. He speaks a bit sloppy and changes the volume of his voice, this expresses the weird personality of his character which pulls the scene together.

With many series you need to watch the first to understand, not in this case. Grown Ups 2 is more consistent with its comedy throughout the movie and delivers the jokes better. Grown Ups is comedic yet some of the jokes can lead to an awkward silence, they’re just not as consistent. Both movies are classics but more importantly, one of these movies are more worthy of your time.