The Student News Site of Victor Senior High School

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

Mrs. Dunbar the Quidditch Superstar

Once upon a time in a galaxy very very close to us there was a teacher who would be destined to save our school from boredom; Mrs. Dunbar. If you have even been to her room you know from the posters and the lightsaber she uses as a pointing stick that she is a huge fan of Star Wars and Harry Potter.

If given the choice she would prefer to live in the world of Harry Potter because of the fact it is a much warmer and friendly place than the cold and distant reaches of space found in Star Wars. Despite believing herself to be on the lightside of the force as a Jedi she insists that her lightsaber would in fact be red which I think would be pretty confusing for everyone involved.

via – Tippett Reinson

In the long ago yesteryear of 2010 the first embers of the flame that would become Quidditch were lit when a student told her that they had heard that “Quidditch” the game played on magic brooms from Harry Potter had become a real life sport and suggested that the school start a league of their own. The first informational meeting for this new after school club saw upwards of 150 students who created 11 teams all with their own unique names.

That year Mrs. Dunbar hosted a massive tournament but ever since then the popularity of Quidditch has been on the decline. Her reasoning for the loss in popularity is that students these days have too many after school sports and extracurriculars to bother with having fun at the Quidditch game, another reason being the fact that Harry Potter as a whole has become less popular since 2010.

Harry Potter’s author J.K Rowling in the past couple of years has revealed herself to be firmly anti-transgender, making many think about the relationship between her books and her opinions.

Mrs. Dunbar believes we can separate art from artist. “At this point we’ve taken this game to be ‘Victor Quidditch’… Bottom line is we have fun playing Quidditch and Harry Potter is an awesome universe to be a part of, I don’t feel like we can’t do it because of that”.

via – Cate Myers (Myself as the “Golden Snitch”)

So there we have it. Quidditch will live on no matter who originally came up with the idea because what matters is the community around it and the people who love to play it. So why should people play Quidditch? “It’s so much fun and I really think it brings together all kinds of people… you can be yourself and everyone can get involved”.