The Student News Site of Victor Senior High School

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Scoop on the Schlueters

The+Schlueter+family+
The Schlueter family

When Mr. Caughlin first introduced the staff feature assignment to my class, I immediately knew I wanted to interview the Schlueters. Having taken both of their classes my Freshman year I knew I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to sit down and talk to them again.

Mr. Schlueter, who teaches Living Environment, has been teaching at Victor Senior High since 2001 and has been in our school for 22 years. Mrs. Schlueter, one of our Global 9 teachers, has been teaching at Victor Senior High since 2009 and this year will be her 15th year.

What I learned about Mr. and Mrs. Schlueter during my freshman year was that they are both very passionate, charismatic, and hardworking teachers. I decided to interview both of them together.

I was wondering if they had learned anything from each other from both being high school teachers. Mr. Schlueter took the lead on this question.

“Well I learned that Mrs. Schlueter is very committed to her job, when we first started dating she put in lots of hours, stayed late, came in on weekends, and is very devoted to her students”.

Of course this was something many of us had already known about Mrs Schlueter if you were lucky enough to have her as a teacher.

During COVID in 2020 when everyone was in quarantine, Mrs. Schlueter looked up all of her students’ addresses and brought goodie bags to all of her students.

Mrs Schlueter then followed up the question with “Mr. Schlueter is a very calm person so I learned not to let little things bother me and to go with the flow more.”

We then got into both aspects of their lives. Their personal/home life and their teacher/school life.

“I struggle with that and I’m trying to get better now that i have 2 younger girls and i’m learning that I can’t bring all my school stress to home, so i’m getting better at it, but it is a challenge because the job of a teacher never ends, were constantly thinking about our students and our work” said Mrs. Schlueter.

Mr. Schlueter added on saying “As years go on you learn to be more efficient, and I try to find time for my family more”.

Moving more into the juicy and interesting bits. Mr Schlueter decided to shoot his shot with Mrs. Schlueter after seeing her come into the school for an interview in 2009. He then saw her at one of the football games and they sparked into conversation and became good friends.

“I think that’s important in a relationship you gotta become friends first” said Mr. Schlueter.

Assuming that Mr. Schlueter proposed I decided to ask him what the process was like and how he was feeling in that moment. He first said that he felt dissapointed which caught me off guard but once he got more into the story it started to make sense. Mr Schlueter had a plan to propose at his cottage at one of the finger lakes, but the weather was bad that day and Mrs Schlueter foiled his plans of going down to the cottage.

Schlueters and Wuests at the lake. Photo provided by Mrs. Schuelter

“Things happen for a reason, it doesn’t matter where you are as long as they say yes”. Mr. Schlueter ended up proposing at home and they have been married for 9 years.

Mr and Mrs Schlueter are parents to 2 little girls, Lucy who is 5 and Adalyn who is 3. They began to fill me in on how raising them is.

It’s a wonderful experience becoming parents but along with everything else in life it comes with its challenges. Patience is a big key factor to have when raising children. They’re full of energy and there is no resting allowed. Mr and Mrs. Schlueter are just trying to enjoy every moment before it flies by.

“Being a mom is the greatest gift, we would never have it any other way”.

Mr and Mrs Schlueter spend a lot of time getting out of the house with their family. Doing things such as fruit picking, going to the lake, and spending time with family.

“That’s where you build your memories.”

Mr. Schlueter believes that he and Mrs. Schlueter would be able to co-teach with each other.

“We’re very structured and I would love to know what she does in her class room because she makes such a great impact on kids”.

On the other hand Mrs. Schlueter doesn’t quite know how co-teaching would work.

“Mr Schlueter is very rigid, but his students learn a lot.”

There are so many teachers in our school who are involved in the Science and Global department. Mr Schlueter would want to take a class from his co worker Mr Schraver. They have been teaching at Victor for over 20 years, coaching soccer, and participating in ski club together. Mr Schraver is one of Mr Schlueters close friends.

“ He’s very calm and easy going”.

Mrs. Schlueter on the other hand couldn’t pick just one teacher.

“We have amazing teachers and they all have different teaching styles. I don’t think I could pick just one to be honest”.