The Student News Site of Victor Senior High School

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The “Wrap” on the “Wrap Lady”

A dive into the life of Mrs. Vaughn

Behind the blaring music on the CD player at 7 in the morning, Dorthy Vaughn, also known as the wrap lady, comes into school to start preparing and getting her station ready for the hundreds of students who go through her line every day. Whether she is making the school famous spicy chicken wrap, or the hard to make Italian wrap, Mrs. Vaughn enjoys every moment.

Mrs. Vaughn’s morning is pretty chill while she doesn’t help with breakfast, she puts all her time and effort into making salads, grab and go lunches, and getting the display perfect for all her amazing students. But after all of her work, she enjoys the leftovers in the cafeteria along with other staff. Her favorite is a nice salad, but if she is feeling it, she will eat some pizza.

Before her job with Victor, “the wrap lady” worked in the Disney store, making magic come to life like how she creates magic in her wraps and salads now. Her kindness and patience shows how much of an amazing worker she is with kids who visited her at the Disney store and now in school.

Picture taken by Annie Baehr of Mrs. Vaughn

Balancing nutrition and taste is tough but isn’t debatable as it is up to her boss Alex. “Every meal you have to make sure has a fruit and a vegetable and a protein and a grain” she explains. Over time this has changed though as it has become more strict with time.

Mrs Vaughn has two grown kids with many grandchildren who enjoy her spicy chicken wrap along with many of the students I know at victor. If she was my grandma, I think I would make her make me spicy chicken wraps as well.

At home Dorthy spends her time reading Tom Clancy, or camping with her husband in her favorite place, Watkins Glen. You may think she doesn’t enjoy cooking out of school because of how much she has to in school, but she doesn’t mind because working in the deli, or wrap room, is much easier than some of the other roles. When she does cook she enjoys making crock pot meals.

Although it was hard to admit, she sometimes snacks on the food she is making. But I mean it’s hard to resist when it’s right in front of you when you’re hungry. When Mrs. Vaughn was in grade school and she said her favorite lunch was “fish sticks”.

Overall she enjoys working for victor so very much. All the students love her and respect her, even though she says it’s probably because “they want her to make them something special” which she sure does.