The Student News Site of Victor Senior High School

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

Why tackle The Quarterback?

via NFL Films, 2PM Productions, and Omaha Productions
Quarterback first aired on July 12th, which was the first of 8 Episodes.

Those familiar with the game of football know how important the quarterback position is. It’s often the reason teams have more success than others, leading long postseason runs or disappointing seasons ending at the conclusion of the regular season. But what makes the quarterback the engine for every team’s potential?

The Omaha Productions company came out with a new show early last summer named Quarterback, which took a deep dive into what it’s like to play the NFL’s premier position, and how to handle the successes and failures that come with being the cadence caller. Three starting quarterbacks, Patrick Mahomes, Kirk Cousins, and Marcus Mariota were generous enough to let a camera crew follow them around week by week, and get behind the scenes.

Mahomes (Top), Cousins (Middle), and Mariota (Bottom), were all part of a very successful Season 1 of the new series Quarterback, now airing on Netflix

Three quarterbacks at completely different points in their career made for a unique experience of what it looks like to be on top of the mountain, as well as the bottom of the valley.

Mahomes, who already had one Superbowl under his belt, led a Kansas City Chiefs team to a 14-3 record, and another AFC West crown. They landed the number 1 seed and ended off the campaign with their 2nd superbowl in 4 years. This was a great example of what the peak of the NFL looks like and why these athletes play the game.

Cousins was part of a Vikings squad which won endless close games and clinched the number 3 seed in the playoffs. This team had one of the most rollercoaster seasons we have ever seen, but it unfortunately ended in an upset loss to the Giants in the Wild Card round. Cousins’ balance with family and football is very relevant in this show, and it proves that athletes have lives outside of football.

Mariota, on the other hand, was benched midway through the season, while also going through an injury which kept him out multiple weeks. His Falcons team missed the playoffs, and Mariota even stepped away from the team for a brief moment, which made for a lot of drama and speculation. He signed with the Philadelphia Eagles in the offseason and is now the backup to Jalen Hurts. 

Quarterback was a huge success, and plans for season 2 have already come out, but the quarterbacks have yet to be determined for sure. Ohama Productions did a great job on this show, and this is hopefully just the beginning of many seasons diving into what it’s like to play the most important position on the gridiron.