The Student News Site of Victor Senior High School

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

Divergent: a Hidden Gem from the Past

Via: Lionsgate

By no means is this series new, but it is a hidden gem within dystopian novels. When someone thinks of a dystopian story it will most likely be The Hunger Games or The Handmaid’s Tale, however this novel from 2011 is

definitely worth a read. Divergent by Veronica Roth offers a thrilling read and you will not be able to put this book down.

Beatrice Prior is born in a world where you have to fit into one of five categories; Dauntless, the brave, Amity, the kind, Erudite, the intelligent, Abnegation, the selfless, and Candor, the honest. Born into Abnegation, Beatrice questions her loyalty to Abnegation and starts to feel as though she needs a change and to experience more in her life. When it is finally time for the aptitude test to tell her fate, she uncovers a shocking discovery. 

Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books

Veronica Roth does an excellent job of incorporating elements from today’s times and dystopian aspects, which makes you question, could this ever happen in our society today? Since our society is so adamant about determining your identity and having somewhere to fit in.

Later in 2014, Veronica Roth and Neil Burger turned this book series into a movie series with Shailene Woolley starring as main character Beatrice Prior and Theo James starring as Four. 

From Common Sense Media, the Divergent film directed by Neil Burger only has a 3 star rating overall, this movie series does not live up to the book series. 

Although this is quite a hefty book with 487 pages, it is an easy read and you will wish that there was more to read. The Divergent series by Veronica Roth is definitely worth a read for all the dystopian lovers.