The Student News Site of Victor Senior High School

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Nun Returns

Via WarnerBros

Ever since The Exorcist, Holy scenes and churches have been a staple for horror films. As Halloween approaches, new films have been released and fans are eager to be scared again. 

The Nun is a 2018 thriller film produced by WarnerBros. The movie depicts how an abbey in Romania is having problems with an unholy entity after a nun dies. A priest and a novice practicing her vows are sent to the church to face this demonic entity in the form of a nun, but they are challenged through faith and fear. 

In the sequel, The Nun II had fans waiting on the edge of their seats to return to The Conjuring universe. Yet again Sister Irene is called to investigate the murders of the popes throughout Catholic churches in France. This time the demon nun Valak is on a quest to retrieve an ancient relic that can give ungodly power to anyone who wields it.

We are introduced back to Maurice “Frenchie”, the handyman from the first movie. He is now the handyman/gardener at a boarding school in France, where Valak starts to terrorize the children. We are also introduced to new characters like Kate, a teacher at the school, and her daughter Sophie. They all become entangled in a gripping horror of events.

Famous director Michael Chaves is known for his work on the Conjuring universe and other horror films. He uses elements like foreshadowing, flashbacks, and interesting visual shots to create a sequel that feels familiar but is a big improvement. As with all horror movies, the soundtrack keeps audianes engaged with intense jumpscares and more anticipation. 

Via WarnerBros

The only downside of this sequel is that there is a jumpscare about every few minutes which takes away from the plot. After multiple scares it tends to get “repetitive” and “everything is predictable”, as fans state on Imdb

Although the movie may lack in some areas, the visuals and shots are more than compelling, which leave fans unable to keep their eyes away. In one scene, an altar boy is standing in the middle of an old chapel as Valack wraps its hand around the shoulder of the child. The contrast between the reverence of the boy and the darkness of the demon builds a scary narrative of what the demon is really capable of. 

Throughout the film, Chaves uses flashbacks to develop some of the history of the evil the characters are facing. Sister Irene’s memories of her first encounter with Valak are shown, which lets new viewers get a glimpse of the traumatic experiences from the past without revealing too much. 

Spoiler alert!!!! 

The use of foreshadowing connects the story of the nun to Ed and Lorraine Warren, which are featured in the end credit scene. The Warrens are shown answering a phone and of which they are told that Father Gordan is calling because of an emergency. The demonologists respond with “Yes Father, how can we help?”. This clip gives viewers an idea that the Warrens will tackle the case of Maurice “Frenchie” Theriault, who in both nun movies has been possessed by the demon.