The Student News Site of Victor Senior High School

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

A Picture Further Painted

When it comes to each individual, we all have lives of our own and only see glimpses of each others. The picture we have painted of one another’s lives at school are even smaller, especially between students and teachers.

When you spend all day learning and only have an hour and twenty-five minutes with each teacher, you don’t know much about them except for the little ways they express their personalities while teaching. Although I haven’t known him for very long, Mr. Spector has expressed his gentle and kind personality by smiling every day.

Positive personalities like his are what draw you to a person. His classroom is warm and inviting with a positive atmosphere.

This is his second year at Victor, Mr. Spector teaches ceramics 1 and drawing and painting 1. He enjoys playing the handpan and guitar, canoeing, and baking. His favorite mediums are charcoal and ceramics.

Before he taught, he graduated in 2002 from his undergrad. He and his wife rented a studio downtown in Rochester. They made art to sell.

Mr. Spector and his wife went to art fairs and galleries for their artwork. They did both collaborative and solo works.

Before coming to Victor, Mr. Spector taught at other schools. During the time of Covid, substitute teachers were needed, he was supposed to be a long term sub and ended up substituting for the rest of the year.

He “just really connected with [teaching].” He found joy in teaching kids and got his Masters Degree so he could continue with it. In the interview he explained how teaching brings him to see everyone in a different light. Everyone has different experiences which shape their behaviors and outlook on life.

Mr. Spector believes taking an elective class such as art helps students with extended concentration and helps focus students’ minds. It exposes students to art and different ideas which are talked about during the classes.

He explains how “[Art has] guided [his] entire set of experiences.” It causes him to reflect back on the things he does and even personal relationships. 

Art is something that Mr. Spector is passionate about, he unexpectedly got involved with teaching which led him to change his career. If he didn’t take that job as a substitute, he may have never been led to teaching at Victor Senior High.

Taking time to expand our knowledge of each others day to day lives is important. When you know a person better, you can paint a more accurate picture.