The Student News Site of Victor Senior High School

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

Good Riddance

Good Riddance album cover
“Good Riddance” album cover

Good Riddance. Gracie Abrams’s debut album was released on February 24th, 2023. Throughout the 12 tracks, Gracie captures feelings of vulnerability and powerlessness after leaving a loving relationship. The deluxe album was released on June 16th, 2023, and includes 4 additional songs. These additional songs include, “Block me out,” which was released as a single in 2022, “Unsteady,” “405,” and “Two people.”

Before releasing Good Riddance, Gracie released a series of singles and an EP entitled, This Is What It Feels Like in November of 2021. Within these singles is Gracie’s song, “I miss you, I’m sorry.” This single is one of the main reasons that Gracie has gained popularity. 

The deluxe album includes 16 tracks entitled:

“Good Riddance” deluxe album vinyl
  1.  Best                                             
  2.  I know it won’t work
  3.  Full machine
  4.  Where do we go now?
  5.  I should hate you
  6.  Will you cry?
  7.  Amelie
  8.  Difficult
  9.  This is what the drugs are for
  10.  Fault line
  11.  The blue
  12.  Right now
  13.  Block me out
  14.  Unsteady
  15.  405
  16.  Two people

The emotional lyrics sung by Gracie’s melancholic tone are truly what makes this album so amazing. With the help of Aaron Dessener, a musician and producer who has also helped write Taylor Swift’s award-winning album folklore, helped Gracie create Good Riddance

In a black-and-white interview with Spotify, Gracie stated, “Good Riddance” means surrendering to change, meaning a lot of the album is about walking away from versions of yourself that you stopped recognizing.” 

The 2nd track, entitled “I know it won’t work” is one of the more well-known songs on this album. The song describes feeling torn about being in a relationship which ultimately leads to a breakup. Gracie acknowledges that while she wants her ex back, however, she knows it won’t work out. 

The 5th track on the album, “I should hate you” is one of my favorite songs Gracie has ever written. “I should hate you” speaks about the feelings that come with cutting ties with someone you love, and the complex feelings of sadness and anger that continuously build inside of you, causing your mind to spiral. It’s very evident in this song that Gracie is struggling to realize that even though her relationship is over, she was the only one who put any effort into it.

The 12th track of the album is one of the saddest songs on the album entitled, “Right now.” The piano in the background is enough to make you want to cry, but the song is best summed up in her line “I’m so tired but can’t sit down.” Throughout “Right now,” Gracie is attempting to process the range of emotions that come with growing up.

No matter what track you’re on, Good Riddance will always make you feel emotional. It is truly one of my favorite albums for when you’re feeling more vulnerable. You should definitely check it out!