The Student News Site of Victor Senior High School

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

From Classroom to Cockpit: The Life of a Student Pilot

Want to know something crazy? You can fly a plane before you get your full drivers license, crazy right? I woulddefinitely say so. It’s not crazy at all for Evan Clark.

Evan is currently a senior here at Victor High School. His passion for aviation is certainly very unique since he’s one of the few students here at Victor that have a big passion for aviation.

While a lot of people may not like the stress of being responsible for hundreds of people and being responsible for multi million dollar aircraft, Evan certainly has a passion for it, he said he finds most other jobs boring. 

“Aviation is unique, you really don’t know what you’re getting into any flight you go on. Traveling the world for your job doesn’t get any better than that,” he says.

Just how every young kid gets into aviation is by traveling in one. Most of us when we think about going on vacation we think whens our flight. While most of us think about the destination Evan only thought about the flight which is were his passion for aviation really took off.

His mom recently took a position with American Airlines at the Rochester Airport and it has given him a great opportunity to fly without having to pay. As an employee for the airlines they get many benefits and one of those benefits is flying standby. 

Flying standby is essentially taking any available seats on a flight without any cost. There’s different types of priorities available with this benefit so its essential to use them wisely. It’s certainly a great perk for him as he gets to travel and keep developing his passion and love for aviation. 

The crucial parts of any flight is take-offs and landings. Statistically these are the most dangerous parts of a flight. When asked to choose one or the other Evan said take-offs. He loves the feelings of becoming airborne and climbing up to higher altitudes. He did mention that at the beginning of his flying lessons that landings are difficult and stressful but now they’re becoming less stressful.

Theres many airline carries in the U.S. alone but Evan has his eyes on few. When asked he said two right of the bat. Those airlines are American and Delta airlines. 

When asked why his answer for American Airlines was because his mom works for them and he loves the idea of potentially working with one of his biggest supporters. The other one is Delta airlines.  When asked about Delta airlines Evan responded with they are know for being great pilots with great skills and he wants to be known as a great pilot in the future. 

Theres not many people in Victor that shares the same aviation passion as Evan. When asked about is there anyone that you would like to fly in the future he responded with Sean Garcia Perez. “Even though he is taking the military route i’ll make sure we stay in contact to hopefully end up flying together one day.” Evan never knew Sean shared the same interest until one day in his US History class last year. Since then they have become really good friends and share there passion for aviation everyday.