The Student News Site of Victor Senior High School

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Underdog of Sitcoms

Tacoma FD Season 4 Cover
TruTV
Tacoma FD Season 4 Cover

Tacoma FD is not a name many people recognize. It’s the cover people scroll by while trying to find something new to watch on Netflix. What if I told you this sitcom you keep passing by would be one of the best shows you might never watch? 

Although there aren’t actors in this show that are necessarily pleasing to the eye like many other shows, I believe this makes the show so much better. People tend to skip past shows that don’t have actors in it that they enjoy looking at. The unique thing about Tacoma FD is you fall in love with every character’s personality throughout the ensemble show. 

You have the Chief, Terry McConky (Kevin Heffernan), a heavier-set man, who has no business being in charge of a whole station.

Chief Terry McConky (Kevin Heffernan)

There is the Captain, Eddie Penisi (Steve Lemme), who is an Italian man with an insane sense of humor, especially when using the “Cobra”, a sassy hand motion while talking and he is also the brother-in-law to Chief Terry.

Captain Eddie Penisi (Steve Lemme)

Then, there are the other firefighters who have smaller roles but are still unique and important in their own ways. Like Granny (Marcus Henerson), the EMT who wishes he could be a singer.

Granny Smith (Marcus Henderson)

Lucy (Hassie Harrison), is the only girl in the station and is also Chief Terry’s daughter and Eddie’s niece. 

Lucy McConky (Hassie Harrison)

Ike (Gabriel Hogan), definitely the dumb blonde of the group, brings a unique sense of humor to the show. 

Ike Crystal (Gabriel Hogan)

And lastly, there’s Andy (Eugene Cordero). Andy is the character who always gets picked on, whether it be for his lack of facial hair or his receding hairline, they are always picking on him. Though these characters seem so different, they still complement each other so well. 

Andy Myawani (Eugene Cordero)

If you want to start a show that won’t take you forever to finish but also has enough to it so it doesn’t feel unfinished, and that will also make you pause the episode to finish laughing so you don’t miss the next joke… then this is the show for you. 

When I decided to start watching this show I came into it without any expectations and just wanted to watch something “different”. Well, it is definitely “different” and it did not disappoint. I don’t think I have ever laughed so hard while watching a show, to the point where, in some episodes, I had to rewind it because I couldn’t hear the other person’s response. 

I believe what makes this show so funny is when the characters say something out of pocket and unexpected. They move on like this was an everyday occurrence. 

Even though this show isn’t the most appropriate or best edited, it has some pretty good actors who are extremely good at their jobs. 

Coming from someone who wasn’t a huge fan of sitcoms, this show changed my perspective and is making me want to watch more shows similar to this. 

So next time you are looking for something new to watch while on Netflix, don’t scroll past Tacoma FD and give the underdog a try. I can guarantee, you will end up watching 4 episodes.