The Student News Site of Victor Senior High School

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

Jennifer Lawrence’s Risqué Switch to Comedy

No Hard Feelings' review: Jennifer Lawrence is the only reason to see film - ABC News

Jennifer Lawrence stars in the new raunchy comedy No Hard Feelings produced by Columbia Pictures. Lawrence dives into a different type of script not regularly seen by the Oscar-winning actress. Opposite of Lawrence is relatively new actor, Andrew Barth Feldman.

Lawrence’s character Maddie is an Uber driver who needs a car to save her childhood home. She responds to a couple’s Craigslist ad offering a car in return for dating their son Percy (Feldman) which proves to be harder than she initially thought. Maddie eventually realizes there’s no point in staying in an unforgiving town that she doesn’t feel happy in; it’s not what her mother would’ve wanted.

This movie was very funny with many enjoyable events and lines throughout. Watching Jennifer Lawrence express a different side of her acting was a breath of fresh air, and entertaining the whole way through. 

Additionally, the Oscar-winning actress kept up with the raunchy acting scenes whether it be fighting teenagers on a beach fully naked, roller skating to work, or using her totaled car to Uber. She delivers an Oscar-worthy act while maintaining the comedic goal of the movie.

However, the downside of this film is Feldman’s performance. He didn’t entirely convince me of his acting wherein parts felt strained and unnatural. Along with the odd, uncomfortable switch to a somewhat rom-com halfway through. The interactions between the 18 and 32-year-old “couple” felt awkward and forced for the plot. But, in the end, the resolution made sense to the film’s initial purpose of self-determination.

No Hard Feelings: Cast, Plot, Filming Locations of the Jennifer Lawrence Sex Comedy - Netflix Tudum

Overall, I like this film and it made me laugh many times. The characters were likable and relatable. Also, the acting was generally very good for being a comedy in which it can sometimes be less of a focus.

I would recommend this movie to others because it is a fresh, relevant, funny film that was definitely worth the watch. The craziness of the plot kept me involved and guessing what would happen next. I would rate this movie an 8/10.