The Student News Site of Victor Senior High School

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

Abbott Elementary: Class is in Session

ABC%2FPamela+Littky
ABC/Pamela Littky

It feels like it’s hard to find a good comedy lately. From Friends to The Office, it has felt like a lot of the popular comedy shows were delegated to the past. That is until Abbott Elementary came out in 2021. 

Similar to The Office, Supestore, and Brooklyn 99, Abbott Elementary is a workplace comedy that focuses on a group of teachers at a school in Philadelphia. Throughout the show they deal with underfunding, budget cuts and problems with students.

ABC

While the message of the show is about problems with the school system, Abbott Elementary is successful at keeping things light hearted and funny. In a sea of dramas and dark comedies, Abbott Elementary brings something different to the table, and could influence future shows on the creation of amazing comedies. 

There are many standout characters including Janine Teagues (Quinta Brunson), a young teacher who wants to make a difference. Every episode she works hard to attempt the impossible and pushes the other teachers to do the same (much to their dismay). Brunson not only starred as Janine but also created the show. She has won two Emmys including one for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series.

Gilles Mingasson/ ABC

Gregory Eddie (Tyler James Williams) is the new teacher. He faces many challenges adjusting to life at Abbott and works hard at his job. Gregory becomes fast friends (and maybe a little bit more) with Janine, and together they work to change the school for the better.

Barbara Howard (Sheryl Lee Ralph) has worked at Abbott for a long time. She knows the ins and outs of teaching and has resigned herself to the fact that the district will be no help to her. Ralph gives an excellent performance and is able to show Barbara’s strict side along with her caring, compassionate side. Ralph also received her first Emmy for her performance. 

One of the highlights of the show is Ava Coleman (Janelle James). Ava is the principal at Abbott and as the principal, is the leader of the school- for better or for worse). Ava, the blackmailing, music loving, not so detail oriented principal causes many problems around the school. James is able to portray Ava perfectly using risky jokes and lots of energy to bring Ava to life.

ABC

Another main character is Jacob Hill, played by Chris Perfetti. Perfetti actually grew up in the area and attended Webster Schroeder High School. 

Abbott Elementary is filmed in a mockumentary style, similar to The Office or Modern Family. The characters are pulled aside for short interviews throughout the show and the scenes are not filmed perfectly as shakey camera movements are shown.  Something unique to this show is the way they directly reference the camera’s presence. In multiple scenes the characters speak about the cameras, and even talk to the camera operators themselves.

Abbott Elementary has been able to provide a hilarious 20 minute comedy- something we haven’t seen in a while. In the future this show could be even more influential than it already is now and start to bring back the 20 minute sitcom.