The Student News Site of Victor Senior High School

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Ultimate Guide to the 2023 Spooky Season

It’s officially October which means everyone should be in the Halloween mood by now(I started back in August but to each their own I guess). This is my favorite time of the year and I am here to give y’all the ultimate guide to the spooky season. I’ll be giving you the breakdown of movies to keep an eye out for, places to get scared and general fun fall places.

Starting off with movies, I have seen 150 horror movies(I have the list to prove it) and here is my top three new movies to consider watching this season

#1 Five Nights at Freddy’s (releasing October 27th in theaters)

IMDB

I will not shut up about this movie because oh my gosh there is a movie about the 2014 horror game that scared a whole generation of children who played this on the way to school every morning. I would go to bed believing that Freddy Fazebear himself would enter my room if I opened my eyes. Starring Josh Hutcherson(yes, Peeta Mellark himself) and the iconic Matthew Lillard, Mr. Shaggy Rogers himself, this movie is no joke. 

#2 The Nun II (out in theaters now-Rotten Tomato Score: 52%)

IMDB

I have already seen this movie and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. For someone who did not watch the first movie, you do not need to watch it before watching this one I promise. There may be some references to the previous film, but overall you can go in blind and still have a blast. 

The cinematography is incredible as well as how well this movie plays with light. It will have you sitting up in your chair to try to decipher what you’re watching and then boom, great jumpscare. This movie will have you jumping out of your seat and clinging to your friend in the best way possible.

#3 Totally Killer (Amazon Prime Video-Rotten Tomato Score: 85%)

IMDB

This movie just got released October 6th on Prime video and is a fun slasher to consider in your list this season. The story follows seventeen year old Jamie(Kiernan Shipka) who comes face to face with the same killer from 1987 who murdered three of the most popular girls in high school and has come back for one last victim. After the killer attempts to attack Jamie, she mysteriously time travels back to 1987 where she is forced to team up with the younger version of her mom to stop the tragedies from occurring again and to make it back to the present.

This is a horror comedy so do not expect anything too scary. It’s a good movie to put on with a big group of friends and try to guess how Jamie is going to escape the killer and 1987.

Local Spooky Attractions

I hate being scared, but man do I love haunted houses and hayrides. Here’s my top three favorite places to visit this season

#1 Nightmare Manor (3333 W Henrietta Rd)

Nightmare Manor is one long continuous attraction with around a 15 minute walk through depending on how well the scare actors run you off(not literally, please do not run). I’ve gone two years in a row and am excited to make my third visit. Open all the way up to October 31st, on Fridays, Saturdays from 7:30pm-11:30pm and Sundays 7:30pm-9:30pm. General admission tickets are $25 and I highly suggest pre-ordering them because the line is incredibly long to begin with. 

While their general admission is spectacular, you may want to consider going to their “Lights Out” nights as well. Only on November 3rd and 4th from 7:30pm-10:30pm tickets start at $30 and you are handed one glow stick for your entire group and enter the house in complete darkness. The scare actors are allowed to take the glow stick away from you but they will not force or harm you in any way shape or form. They just like to bargain with you before scaring you off to the next room.

Dark Matter Scream Works

#2 Dark Matter Scream Works(296 Greece Ridge Center Dr)

Located in the Greece mall right next to Burlington, this haunted attraction offers five mini haunted houses to scare you with. This way you get more of a break moving from jumpscare to jumpscare. The houses are: Blood Manor, Contagion, Circus of the Damned, Phobias and House of Krampus. They do have a new policy update which states “All visitors under 16 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian or adult. Each adult can accompany up to 5 minors.”

Dark Matter is open all the way up to October 29th, on Fridays and Saturdays from 7pm-10pm and Sundays from 7pm-9pm. General Admission tickets are $30, but I do suggest paying $10 extra for the VIP ticket because depending on night, you will not enter all five houses with a general admission ticket. I’ve gone two years in a row and I recommend this attraction for anyone who has never been to a haunted house before. Also keep an eye out for their scare cam which gets posted on their Facebook page!

#3 Verhulst Haunted Hayride(5161 W Ridge Rd, Spencerport)

With Haunted Hayride of Greater Rochester being closed due to short staff, this is the closest haunted hayride attraction we have in our area. This attraction is approximately 35 minutes long and it features a haunted corn maze at the end of the ride. They are open Friday, Saturday and Sunday. 

It is a cash only attraction with a first come/first serve rule which means I suggest being there as close as you can be to their opening. The Ticket booth opens approximately at 6:30 with the first wagon leaving at dusk(around 7:25). Tickets are $29 per person and are sold up until 10:30 on Fridays and Saturdays and until 9:30 on Sundays. If you have your ticket purchased by then, you will get a ride, there’s just no specific time when that will be.

This place does have a couple strict rules in play that you should be made aware of. Firstly no one under the age of 14 is allowed in without an adult and no backpacks are allowed. There is a waiver you have to sign(you can fill it out online or there in person). It essentially just states that you’re well aware you’re on a farm which means you’re walking on uneven surfaces and are liable to your own risk of injury(you can’t sue them for tripping over a root). 

There’s many cute pumpkin patches around the area, so whatever place you decide to go to, you will have a blast. My number one pick though is Power Farm Market.

Powers Farm Market (61 Marsh Rd, Pittsford)

Celebrating over 55 years, this farm is a must see to visit this fall season. Known for homemade ciders and baked goods, there’s plenty to see at this market. They have an extensive pumpkin patch right next to their famous massive teepee which holds a ton of different carved pumpkins that is beautiful to view at night when they’re all lit up. Not to mention their animal visiting area as well as their legendary Halloween Hayride made for all ages.

They’re open Monday-Wednesday from 9am-6:30pm, Thursday from 9am-8pm, Friday and Saturday from 9am-9pm and lastly Sunday from 9am-6pm.

Happy Fall Season everyone!