The Student News Site of Victor Senior High School

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

Stefon Diggs Traded to Houston

Instagram%3A+%40straitvibin_jerseyswaps
Instagram: @straitvibin_jerseyswaps

Stefon Diggs is no longer a Buffalo Bill. 

Out of Maryland, Diggs was drafted by the Vikings in the 2015 draft and became a budding star. His time in the twin cities was highlighted by two thousand-yard seasons and the Minneapolis Miracle in the divisional matchup with the Saints. 

In what would be a turning point in the Bills’ history, Diggs was acquired by trade from the Vikings prior to the 2020 season. The trade has been claimed by many to be one of the most even deals in the history of the NFL. The Bills received Diggs while the Vikings received a multitude of picks, one of which became one of the league’s best young receivers in Justin Jefferson. 

Diggs’ impact on the Bills was felt immediately in the 2020 season. This was a season where Josh Allen established himself as a top quarterback in the league due in large part to Diggs. Diggs and Allen both recorded career highs in receiving yards and passing yards respectively, and Diggs led the league in receptions and yards.

As Diggs’ time went on in Buffalo, things became increasingly tense between Diggs and Allen. What seemed to have been the tipping point came in the Bills’ divisional matchup with the Bengals in the 2022 season.

In the leadup to the season, Diggs signed a 4-year extension with the Bills worth up to $96 million that would have him with the Bills until the 2027 season. Diggs would go on to back up his prior performances with over 1400 yards and a career-high eleven touchdowns.

In the snowy January game in Buffalo, the Bills’ offense severely stalled and lacked the production it had seen in the regular season. Toward the end of the game Diggs was seen visibly frustrated at Allen in what he would later go on to say was a culmination of the events of the season. 

The following offseason Diggs would hold out of mandatory minicamp raising some eyebrows further as to Allen and Diggs’ relationship. Additionally, drama was further contributed by Diggs’ Pro Bowl cornerback brother, Trevon Diggs who tweeted hinted at him and his brother joining up in Dallas.

That will take us to the 2023 season, Diggs started the season as usual with multiple hundred-yard games, then regressed towards the end of the season as the Bills made the switch in play callers to Joe Brady and began to run the ball more. Once again, the Bills suffered a painful playoff loss to the Chiefs where Diggs dropped an Allen long ball in the fourth quarter that seemingly would have changed the result. 

Earlier this week in what seemed to be just another link in the chain of Stefon Diggs drama, Diggs replied “You sure?” to a tweet stating that Diggs was not essential to Allen’s success. Later the next day Diggs was traded with a 5th and 6th round pick to the Texans for a 2025 2nd round pick.

The trade sparked mixed results with Bills Mafia as this increased the cap space the Bills have to play with. However, this left the Bills’ receiver room looking bleak and in question. 

Looking ahead, the Bills have seemed to have forced their hand in the draft to take a receiver. Whether it be using the pick from the trade to move up and select Rome Odunze or Brian Thomas Jr. or staying put and hoping Adonai Mitchell falls to pick 28, receiver is inevitable for GM Brandon Beane. 

On the flip side of the coin, the Texans receive a former all-pro receiver in Diggs. The Texans add to their already potent offense with C.J. Stroud, Nico Collins, Tank Dell, and free agency pick-up Joe Mixon. 

Stroud and the Texans are poised to make a jump congruent to the Bills’ jump made in 2020 after trading for Diggs. 

However, on April 4th the Texans restructured Diggs’ deal paying him up to $22.5 million this year, and he would then become a free agent at the end of the 24 season. With targets being Diggs’ main gripe in his situation with the Bills, he may not see a huge jump with other receivers in Collins and Dell commanding part of the target share. 

If it plays out this way Diggs may enter free agency and leave the Texans empty-handed and out a second-rounder. Or, Diggs may have the season of his career with the added motivation and could go on to receive a large sum of money from the Texans in free agency. 

Perhaps one of the reasons the Bills decided to unload Diggs and why the Texans were able to take on his contract was quarterback salary. With Allen’s large extension having kicked in, the Bills have felt the ramifications of locking up their franchise QB in other spots on their roster.

Whereas Stroud is still on his rookie deal and will be for the next couple of years allowing his front office to surround him with pricey pieces and make a push in the playoff. Similar to how Purdy and the 9ers were able to sign players like Trent Williams and Nick Bosa, the Texans have added Danille Hunter, Joe Mixon, and of course Stefon Diggs.

Regardless of what plays out in the coming years, the receiver drafted by the Bills will always be compared to Diggs similar to the way Justin Jefferson was to Diggs. And who knows maybe looking back this trade will draw some connections in the way both teams see themselves winning the trade.