The Student News Site of Victor Senior High School

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Victor Voice

The Bear: ‘Yes Chef’

FX
FX

Over the last few years, The Bear has taken audiences by storm. The show has taken home 10 Emmys, 4 Golden Globes, and 4 SAG Awards along with many others as listed on IMDb.

Frank Ockenfels/FX

But what makes The Bear so special? 

The Bear is a drama that focuses on Carmen ‘Carmy’ Berzatto (Jeremy Allen White), a talented chef who is coping with the loss of his brother Mikey (Jon Bernthal) and the fact that he inherited his run-down, struggling restaurant The Beef. To help improve the restaurant he hires Culinary Institute of America graduate, Sydney Adamu (Ayo Edebiri), and together they work to bring The Beef back to life. 

Over the course of the show, many problems arise such as angry staff members, a health violation and financial struggles. His ‘cousin’ Richard ‘Richie’ Jerimovich (Ebon Moss-Bachrach) poses a problem for Carmy as they disagree over everything as they deal with losing Mikey. Through these issues Carmy struggles to stay calm and deals with lots of anxiety and grief over his brother and his new restaurant position.

FX

Jeremy Allen White already established himself as a great actor with his role as Lip Gallagher in Shameless, and he continues to prove himself as Carmy. Through White, you can see all of Carmy’s emotions very clearly. From the pain he is hiding to the pressure he feels to be great, White expresses all of this showing that without a doubt he is worthy of winning an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series.

Before The Bear, Ayo Edebiri was mainly known for her behind the camera roles on shows such as Big Mouth and What We Do in the Shadows. After landing the role of Sydney, Carmy’s new hard-working employee, Edebiri was rocketed to fame. 

She portrayed Sydney perfectly showing not only her strict, all business side but her endearing, caring side too. Recently,

Frank Ockenfels/FX

Edebiri hosted SNL, guest starred on Abbott Elementary and is slated to work on the new Disney film, Inside Out 2. She won an Emmy Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series for her role.

Ebon Moss-Bachrach also expertly plays his role as Richie, Carmy’s close friend and coworker at The Beef. He demonstrates Richie’s anger issues in a way that is very believable but is able to contrast this with perfectly timed glimpses of emotion. Moss-Bachrach won his first Emmy for Outstanding Actor in a Comedy Series.

Overall, The Bear is an amazing show with an incredible cast, perfect writing and excellent production. While stressful at times, the show focuses on the characters’ many different and relatable feelings, filling the show with emotion and heart. 

The Bear is available to stream exclusively on Hulu.